South Korea Questions

If you have a Korea related question or know the answer to a question listed in this forum, please post it.

Activity Feed Join the group below and ask your questions Language What was the hardest part of learning the Korean language? Reply To: What was the hardest part of learning the Korean language?

Annisa Pratamasari

July 5, 2022 at 6:37 am

For me, there are several factors…

The grammar is hard because there is no definite rule. Mostly based on ‘neukkim’… Comparatively, I learnt Japanese for years, though their grammar is arguably more complex, there are definite rules for every grammar structure, and even conjugation words.

There’s also ‘expectation of perfection’ and ‘level of immersion.’ Koreans somehow expect us to be PERFECT in speaking, writing, and everything. In addition, we are expected to do everything like a native Korean. For example, my friends who write their thesis in Korean told me that their writings are often criticized for not ‘sounding’ Korean enough (a friend even had a Korean re-writing her thesis to sound more Korean, which was depressing for her). They’re all practically fluent in Korean, though.

Konnect